This year the theme of the International Day of Cooperatives 2020, which will take place on 4th July, is COOPERATIVES FOR CLIMATE ACTION.
With this focus, the International Cooperative Alliance invites the global cooperative community to continue to take action to address climate change, knowing that no country is immune to this critical situation that is putting lives and livelihoods at risk, destroying vital ecosystems for people and the planet.
The theme of the International Day of Cooperatives 2020 has been chosen to support Goal 13 on Climate Change.
The event will focus on the contribution of cooperatives to the fight against climate change and will stimulate conversation on one of the most serious challenges facing our planet in the 21st century. Indeed, greenhouse gas emissions are more than 50% higher than in 1990 and global warming is causing lasting changes to our climate system, threatening a major impact on the livelihoods of people around the world, especially the most disadvantaged groups such as small farmers, women, young people, indigenous peoples and ethnic minorities, who face extreme natural disasters and degradation of natural resources.
In addition, as already done last year together with DotCoop, the International Cooperative Alliance is launching an interactive map of the International Cooperative Day 2020 to illustrate how cooperatives around the world are moving to fight climate change and celebrate their successes. Last year, more than 130 events were recorded in around 40 countries around the world. This year we aim to further expand the registrations!
To be included in the interactive map, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the following information:
- Name of your organization
- The complete address (so you can place it precisely on the map!)
- A description of the event you are organising or participating in (maximum 800 words)
- Pictures if you have them!
- Social media links and website URLs so people can get more information.
We would also like to mention two other initiatives launched by the ICA:
- A photo contest – the image that best represents #Coops4ClimateAction, wins!
- An invitation to submit a short personal video entitled “In 10 years’ time, I hope…” which tells you what you think the results of the #Coops4ClimateAction campaign will be in 10 years’ time. The most inspiring videos will be included in the ICA video that will be produced for the International Day of Cooperatives celebrations on July 4th.
The International Cooperative Alliance invites us to spread the word about the theme chosen to celebrate the International Day of Cooperatives on July 4th and to participate in the #Coops4ClimateAction campaign.